Jacob B. Kowarsky
Jacob Barry Kowarsky (“Jack”) has practised law with distinction for fifty years and continues to do so to this day.
Graduated from the Faculty of Law, University of British Columbia in 1963, he was called to the bar in June 1964. He has been in constant practice ever since. He has been junior associate, partner, managing partner, senior partner and consulting associate at the same firm for half a century.
He is the co-author of editions of British Columbia Supreme Court Practice, Court of Appeal Practice, Motor Vehicle Damage Assessments and Family Law Digests. He lectured at Trial Advocacy Workshops and instructed articling students in Court procedure and family law.
He is a director and trustee of the Lohn Foundation, one of BC’s largest private charitable foundations.
Community Involvement (sampling):
- Member of the Board of Governors of Simon Fraser University, including serving as Chair and Vice-Chair of the Finance Committee;
- Member of the Compensation Committee;
- Member of the Academic Operations Committee;
- Director of Simon Fraser University Foundation Board;
- Chair of the Finance Committee and Board Member of the Simon Fraser Community Development Corporation;
- External Advisory Board member, Simon Fraser University, Faculty of Business Administration;
- Chair of the Arthritis Research Centre Society of Canada (1999 – 2003);
- Director of BC & Yukon Arthritis Society, Chair of Finance Committee, Member of Executive Committee;
- Board of Trustees of the Vancouver Hospital & Health Science Centre, member of the Executive and member of the Finance Committee;
- President of the Haro Park Centre Society Intermediate Care Facility;
- Chaired Committee for the building of the Vancouver Holocaust Memorial.
- 1992 - Doctor of Laws, Honoris Causa, LL.D. (Bar - Ilan University, Israel);
- 2003 - Doctor of Laws, Honoris Causa, LL.D. (SFU - Canada).